Monday, 11 August 2014

Review: Solitaire by Alice Oseman

Hello Everyone!


I apologise in advance that some of my reviews may be shorter than before as university has started again for me so I unfortunately have to spend slightly less time on reviews and more on assignments and studying-boo I know.

Title: Solitaire 

Author: Alice Oseman

Publisher: HarperCollins Australia





Goodreads Synopsis:

In case you’re wondering, this is not a love story.

My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that’s all over now.

Now there’s Solitaire. And Michael Holden.

I don’t know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don’t care about Michael Holden.

I really don’t.

This incredible debut novel by outstanding young author Alice Oseman is perfect for fans of John Green, Rainbow Rowell and all unflinchingly honest writers

Review
I was lucky enough to win Between the Covers (the YA division of HarperCollins Australia) Book Boyfriend competition (woohoo!) and one of the prizes was a copy of Disruption by Jessica Shirvington but because I already own a copy, I sent an email saying I was happy for the publisher to keep it for another giveaway and BtC was lovely enough to swap it for Solitaire by Alice Oseman. And I am so glad they did because I found this book absolutely fabulous!

First off I have to say I do have a love/hate relationship with the blurb.  I think it’s great in the fact that in no way does it give away any information about the book but not so great when readers pick up a book and don’t know what the story is about, there is no real feel for the story.

Solitaire is written from the point of view of Tori Spring-a pessimist. A girl who is just living, not particularly happy or unhappy with life in general-she is just really going through the motions only caring about the few important people in her life who seem to be her brothers and her best friend Becky. That is until Michael Holden walks into the picture…and also when Solitaire shows up. The plot line of the novel was so intriguing that I never wanted to put the book down!

I really enjoyed reading from Tori’s POV. She is such an honest, unique character and surprisingly witty. Her remarks had my laughing at one point and then honestly hanging to her every word the next. Even when she feels like her life is spinning out of control, Tori is definitely one of the most interesting characters of 2014.

Now Michael Holden is not stereotypical YA guy. He is not the sexiest guy in the school; he is not the bad boy. He is Michael, and he is a little weird, a little different but all around brilliant.  And I am so happy to say that I would be happy to add him to my book boyfriend list because HE CARES. He obviously cares so much about Tori and isn’t put off by what can be perceived as a standoffish demeanor but takes the time to find out more about her and let her learn about him.

I do want to add in that Solitaire is NOT a love story, just as the tag line on the book says.

Now Solitaire (I’m not going to tell you what this is, you’ll have to find out for yourself!) is a different concept. It added another layer to an amazing book. The only problem that I had with Solitaire was that it was predictable. From the halfway point of the book I knew the mystery. However this didn’t take away a lot from the overall book, which is great.

Solitaire is a brilliant YA Contemporary if you are looking for something different-yet absolutely wonderful. Unique characters, witty dialogue and an honest, mysterious plotline, what more could you want?

Solid 4 stars for a wonderful book!

3 comments:

  1. I've read a few different reviews of this book and they've got me really curious! The fact that it's not a love story and Michael is not the typical sexy, brooding bad boy really appeals to me! Getting a little tired of reading the same old thing, so it's good that books like Solitaire exist.

    Great review, looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was initially intrigued by it not being a love story as well! It is definitely a unique story so I hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. WobblyKnockers I am stalking you and you are clearly wrong, no matter how different you smell when you're awake. Perhaps in SPITE of it. Maybe that is the root of your terribleness because this book was the worst and now I am done stalking because I would only be disappointed in you.

    ReplyDelete